Since you came to this post to see the miracle of traffic growth with Pinterest promised in the title, I want first to remind you that at the time when I’m writing this post, my account can be considered quite small, I’m still under 2000 followers (note: depending on when you are reading this post, I am probably having more Pinterest followers right now).
Get my newest Pinterest Hack for Free
Download a FREE Pinterest Hack to Know Keyword Volume Numbers
Subscribe and get the Hack by email!
And yes, from this post you will see how I received 30,000 sessions on my blog from one pin in just 3 days! Just keep reading, it’s all coming.
So, can a new blogger get a good reach on Pinterest and generate decent traffic from it?
Alright, first let me show you the Pinterest reach for my account in the last 30 days – it’s 5.1 million views per month!
I can also show this number in a different way:
You probably have seen other bloggers showing you this number. It’s good to have a high reach in Pinterest Analytics, but it’s even better if you get lots of traffic to your blog from Pinterest! And to see these stats, you need to look into your Google Analytics.
So, let’s head to my traffic report, from which you can see the results you CAN achieve with your blog while working at your day job! Yes, my blog has been just a side-hustle until mid-January 2018, but not anymore 🙂 I quit my 9-5 job to be a full-time blogger. And from this post, you will know why I took this decision and what gave me the confidence to do so.
Traffic Report for 9 months blogging
Just to remind you, when I started my blog, I also created a brand new Pinterest account, so I had 0 traffic and 0 followers for starters. Now, I jump straight to Pinterest because, for my blog, it’s responsible for about 90% of traffic.
Here is how my blog developed slowly but steadily, during these first months of its life. You can tell, it took me time to start getting any decent pageviews.
There was a slight decline in August, which is quite normal (other bloggers in my niche also reported this seasonal traffic decline).
In September I changed my Pinterest and content strategy and it gave instant effect! I changed 2 things in particular:
- I decided that writing only blogging and moneymaking posts is not enough. They worked well with affiliate offers in the first months to support my beginner’s enthusiasm. But since they are quite narrowly niched, they didn’t bring much traffic and couldn’t help me in growing my tiny Pinterest account. So I followed the advice to post seasonal and holiday-related content, and my Halloween decorations post simply rocked on Pinterest for about a month.
I figured how I can make these seasonal pins viral, and you can check yourself the total repin counts for my viral posts. Please note that these posts have not been around for 2-3 years, I created them about 1.5 months before the respective holidays in 2017. These are seasonal posts and they had very limited time to gain traction and repins. Next year I hope to bring them back to life and get more traffic from Pinterest!
- After the initial success achieved scheduling with Tailwind, there was an August decline, and I started looking for another strategy. Some bloggers promised amazing results with strictly manual pinning strategy. It’s time-consuming and needs your dedication. You have to find at least (!) 30 min on a daily basis, ideally divided into 3-4 smaller sessions. Adding manual pinning to my strategy helped me to start things moving on Pinterest again. I see certain wins in manual pinning:
- While pinning manually, you spend time on Pinterest. And apparently, this gives some advantage to your account. If you schedule everything without even visiting Pinterest platform, I guess, you are not making Pinterest happy at all.
- Manual pinning incites you to pay more attention to what you are sharing, check stats of your pins, and measure the efficiency of group boards and your own boars. All of this leads to better results. You do everything with more thought in it, fine-tune keywords and descriptions depending on the board to which you pin. Eventually, your activity doesn’t look as spammy and chaotic as when you just drop your pins to a bunch of group boards with scheduler… You finally have it. You have a Pinterest strategy 🙂
But I’m not ready to do it ALL exclusively manually. First and foremost, because when the highest Pinterest traffic comes (evening EST time zone), I am deep asleep. Yes, I happen to live in the most beautiful and peaceful little coastal country – Portugal 🙂 So, I have to schedule some repins with Tailwind for those busy Pinterest traffic hours.
If you noticed January 2018 traffic spike on the screenshot above, that’s because I continue working with this combination of manual pinning and scheduling. I keep covering seasonal content popular on Pinterest during the winter months. Any Pinterest expert will tell you that in the winter people go crazy about dieting and fitness. So you should expect more healthy food and fitness posts on my blog in the next few months.
I promise you to niche down and write more blogging-related content when the right time comes. Some of my readers have been asking me in private messages about my Pinterest strategy. I feel my experience with getting pins viral and attracting up to 70000 monthly sessions from Pinterest with a tiny following, can be very useful for new bloggers who start just like I did, from absolute 0. I’m still below 2000 followers, guys, can you believe it? 🙂
Do follow me if you found this post useful, I’ll come up with more details about my Pinterest strategy soon. Just in case you need more proofs, here is my traffic report for 3 days of January (Jan 15-17).
30 000 sessions in 3 days. And yes, I did it with quite a small Pinterest account.
Conclusions based on my Traffic Report
- Pinterest traffic should be your major focus if you want to make money blogging fast. If you don’t mind waiting 3 years or more working hard on Google SEO, getting backlinks, authority, all this complicated stuff, go on and follow the old-school solid strategies. If you want to make a decent income from your blog within the first year, open your eyes and ears, listen to what other bloggers share about their Pinterest strategies and analyze their accounts, their content which went viral. Try to “hack“ their success secrets and apply them to your strategy. Avoid making some common mistakes which can slow down your Pinterest growth. I will speak about all of this in my Pinterest course-to-come 🙂
- Tailwind rules for growing your Pinterest boards faster because you can see repin counts and share only popular content of other bloggers on your boards.
If you are still in doubts about all this blogging fever, look at my 9-month journey and believe me, I’m far from being the best example in terms of traffic and income growth. But that’s what I was able to do while working 9-5 and still learning my way hard with trial and error. It is definitely worth trying!
In case you were interested in money (yep, Pinterest brings not traffic only, money comes in a package), here is my income report for the first 9 months blogging.
HOW I USE PINTEREST FOR MY OWN ONLINE BUSINESS AND MY RESULTS
I’m a big advocate of the idea that a blog can and should be a way of making extra income or maybe even replace your full-time job. So here is how to use Pinterest for business built on the blog as a foundation.
My site is just a little over 1 year old, I started with a 0 following Pinterest account and by the 10thmonth blogging, I reached 172,000 monthly pageviews to my blog, with about 90% of traffic coming from Pinterest.
I started my second blog in Feb 2018, and the new blog momshealth.co already hit 74,000 monthly pageviews in less than 90 days! And again, almost all the traffic comes from Pinterest.
I can guarantee that at least 50% of the Pinterest tips and tricks I share with you in the course, are absolutely exclusive and you will not find them in any other Pinterest course.
If you don’t need to grow fast and don’t mind working at your 9-5 job for a lot longer, you can totally keep reading my emails and posts because I also share tons of free advice. It’s just a matter of how FAST you want to grow your blog and income.
I don’t mind at all if you save this PIN to your Blogging Board and check it later 🙂