Looking for a healthy and tasty meal the whole family will love? This healthy taco salad recipe consists of healthy and fresh ingredients that make a perfect summer meal or a healthy serving for your guests!
This recipe barely needs any cooking which is why I also recommend doing this with your kids as a bonding experience!
And to make this recipe even more filling, we are going to add ground beef for that extra protein. With that said, here is how you can make a delicious ground beef taco salad.
How to make taco salad
A taco salad is basically a Mexican taco in a bowl but without any taco shell needed! This makes it a mess-free and refreshing meal, especially during the summer! In this recipe, we will use fresh and healthy taco salad ingredients, and cooking will take just 10 minutes!
1 lb Ground beef
2 tbsp Taco seasoning (can be store bought or homemade)
8 oz chopped Romaine lettuce
1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
1 medium Avocado (cut into cubes)
1/2 cup chopped Green onions
3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/3 cup Salsa (fresh tomato salsa or any of your preferred salsa)
1/3 cup Sour cream
1 tsp oil (any oil you prefer)
First, heat oil in a skillet over high heat and add the ground beef. Cook it until it is browned.
Next is to make seasoned ground beef. To do this, just mix in your taco seasoning mix with the ground beef and stir until combined.
You can also add 1/4 cup of water when adding the seasoning and let it simmer for a while.
And the last step is to combine all your fresh ingredients. Place the lettuce, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and sour cream into a large bowl.
When your taco salad beef is done and brown, add it to the bowl.
Serve in bowls or individual plates.
More notes and tips for the best taco salad
This taco salad is a quick summer salad you can easily do. The recipe is pretty straightforward and easy to make since the ingredients for taco salad are all fresh and barely need any cooking (except for the beef). But, if you want more notes and tips on how to make the best taco salad, then I have some recommendations for you:
- You can use any type of protein in this recipe. You can use shrimp, lean ground turkey, chicken, or any dressing!
- If you decide to use ground beef, I recommend using lean ground beef since ground beef with a higher fat content will release more fat.
- I love adding avocadoes to this recipe. But you can also swap it with guacamole if you prefer!
- Feel free to toss in any other veggies you have or remove anything from this recipe that you do not like. You do not have to be super strict about the ingredients or fresh veggies you use since this recipe is pretty versatile!
- You can include several taco toppings including flavored Doritos, black beans, olives, other chips and dressing, and more!
What to serve with this taco salad recipe
This taco salad recipe can be eaten fine on its own but if you want a more filling and satisfying meal, then I have here some sides or pairings you can serve with your taco salad:
- Air Fried Corn on the Cob
- Tortilla chips
- Chicken enchiladas
- Your preferred bread or pastries
- Air fried zucchini fries
- And more!
How to make healthy taco salad in advance
If you are wondering if you can make taco salad in advance and add it to your meal prep recipes, then yes you definitely can make this recipe in advance! You just need to cook the beef first and store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
Also store your other taco salad ingredients including torn lettuce, shredded cheese, fresh veggies, etc.
Do note to store your salad dressing, sour cream, and salsa separately. Do not cut the avocadoes ahead of time as well.
When ready to be eaten, you just reheat the meat and assemble all your ingredients in a large bowl and serve.
How to store taco salad
If you have any leftover taco salads, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. Do make sure to set your taco salad ingredients aside without the sour cream, salsa, and avocado since these are ingredients that taste best when served fresh.
It is best to store the ground beef separately as well so you can reheat it. To reheat your ground beef taco meat or preferred protein, just put it in the microwave or in a hot skillet before tossing it into the salad.
Taco Salad With Ground Beef
This taco salad bowl is a quick and healthy meal for those who want to toss a quick and refreshing meal. What I love about this easy recipe is that we will only be using fresh ingredients and you have the option to add more fresh ingredients - there is no limit here!
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning (can be store bought or homemade)
- 8 oz chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 medium Avocado (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup chopped Green onions
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 cup Salsa (fresh tomato salsa or any of your preferred salsa)
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- 1 tsp oil (any oil you prefer)
- First, heat oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the ground beef. Cook it until it is browned.
- Next is to make seasoned ground beef. To do this, just mix in your taco seasoning with the ground beef and stir until combined.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of water when adding the seasoning and let it simmer for a while.
- Toss to combine all your fresh ingredients. Place the lettuce, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and sour cream into a large bowl.
- When your taco salad beef is done and brown, add it to the bowl.
- Serve in bowls or individual plates.
I’m Anastasia and I’m a full-time blogger, online entrepreneur, and Pinterest marketing strategist. I help digital entrepreneurs and bloggers drive targeted traffic from Pinterest either through my online courses or through Pinterest consultancy.