Are you in need of something tasty and healthy to add to your diet or meal plan? I would highly recommend butternut squash!
Aside from its richness of flavor, this winter squash is jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants while being low in calories and naturally gluten-free which makes it the perfect food for those on a weight loss or paleo diet.
And to make sure that you retain the healthy benefits of this squash, you can cook butternut squash easily and quickly using an air fryer with very little to no oil at all! And I am here to tell you how to do it.
Looking for more fall recipes to do in an air fryer? You can try this Air Fryer Acorn Squash recipe.
How to make Air Fryer Butternut Squash
You can easily make your butternut squash into a great side dish or quick snack just with the use of your air fryer. This air fryer butternut squash is tender on the outside and perfectly crispy on the outside!
- Butternut squash (about four cups of cut-up cubes or one peeled squash)
- Olive oil
- Your favorite seasonings or spices (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, ground cinnamon, etc.)
- Brown sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, cut the butternut squash into cubes or similar small chunks. You can use either fresh butternut squash or frozen butternut squash.
You can also use pre-cut butternut squash already if it is available.
Put the cubed butternut squash in a single layer inside the air fryer basket and spray the squash with olive oil.
Heat the air fryer to 340 degrees F and cook for about twenty to thirty minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the air fryer.
Shake the basket halfway through cooking so that the butternut squash will brown and cook perfectly.
Combine your favorite spices in a small bowl and add to the butternut squash.
Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Check if the butternut squash is crispy and tender to your liking and serve.
You can then proceed to the next batch.
More tips for the best butternut squash in the air fryer
Cooking your butternut squash in the air fryer is pretty easy and straightforward. But if you want to make sure that you get the best results out of the whole cooking process, I have here more tips on how you can make this easy air fryer butternut squash recipe:
- If you are cutting your squash into cubes, I would recommend peeling or removing the skin using a sharp vegetable peeler before cutting.
- You can also buy pre-cut squash but it is usually cut in larger pieces so you may have to adjust and add more minutes to the cooking time.
- You can use frozen butternut squash but the squash may not turn out to be as crispy as this recipe using fresh squash.
- If you prefer a sweet and savory version of this butternut squash recipe, you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or maple syrup and a tablespoon of brown sugar to your squash then air fry.
- You can also garnish with fresh parsley or any spices or seasonings you want.
What to use butternut squash with
You can easily make a butternut squash recipe in an air fryer and eat it on its own once it is done. but if you want to make this recipe even tastier and more filling to the tummy, I have here several ways how you can use your butternut squash cubes – either as a side dish or a part of a main course meal:
- Serve with protein like roasted chicken or baked pork chops
- Add with scrambled eggs for a healthy breakfast
- Add to your favorite soups
- Toss the butternut squash into your favorite healthy salads
- Add to pasta
- Serve with rice
How to store your roasted butternut squash
If you have leftover butternut squash, allow them to cool to room temperature. Transfer the squash to an airtight container and you can store it in your fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, you can toss your butternut squash into the air fryer. Set the air fryer to 400°f for around 5 minutes. They may not be as crispy as when you made them the first time but they will still taste really good.
Why use an air fryer?
You’d be surprised at how quickly a vegetable can cook inside an air fryer as compared to an oven. But aside from its quick cooking time, I love using an air fryer whenever I need to roast or fry something because it helps me retain the nutrients of the food I make.
And instead of drowning your ingredients in oil just to have them fried and crispy, you will only need a few dabs or spray of oil in an air fryer and you will already achieve that perfectly crispy yet tender result!
- Butternut squash (about four cups of cut up cubes or one peeled squash)
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Your favorite seasonings or spices
- Brown sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, cut the squash into cubes or similar small chunks. You can use either fresh butternut squash or frozen butternut squash.
- You can also use pre-cut butternut squash already if it is available.
- Put the cubed butternut squash in a single layer inside the air fryer basket and spray the squash with olive oil.
- Heat the air fryer to 340 degrees F and cook for about twenty to thirty minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the air fryer.
- Shake the basket halfway through cooking so that the butternut squash will brown and cook perfectly.
- Combine your favorite spices in a small bowl and add to the butternut squash.
- Continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Check if the butternut squash is crispy and tender to your liking and serve.
- You can then proceed to the next batch.
I’m Anastasia and I’m a full-time blogger, online entrepreneur, and Pinterest marketing strategist. I help digital entrepreneurs and bloggers drive targeted traffic from Pinterest either through my online courses or through Pinterest consultancy.