Plantains or Maduros is a classic healthy Latin side dish that all ages love. However, the cooking method may not be what most approve of in their diet because it requires frying.
But this is where an air fryer comes in! Unlike a traditional fried plantain, this recipe aims for a healthier version with much fewer calories by using an air fryer! Plus, the cooking time is way shorter and the clean-up time is a breeze because you will not need a lot of cooking equipment – just your air fryer!
With that in mind, here is an easy air fryer plantains recipe you can quickly do at home!
How to make air fryer plantains
I love eating plantains but I always have to ensure I do not consume food that is high in calories. What I love about this recipe is that I won’t need to drown my plantains in a lot of oil to be cooked. Foods fried in oil are my number one enemy, anyways.
Plus, cooking time is way quicker and you will literally only need less than five ingredients!
- 2 Plantains medium, ripe
- 2 teaspoons of cooking oil
- Salt to taste (optional)
First, you need to cut the edges and ends of the plantains using a sharp knife. You should look for plantains that are firm.
Next, run the knife through the skin of the plantain lengthwise, while not fully cutting the flesh. This makes it easier for you to peel the skin without breaking the plantain in half. Peel plantains skin.
Then, slice the plantain into 1/2 inches-thick pieces diagonally.
Transfer your plantains into a bowl and mix with oil and salt.
In the instance that your plantains start to get soft and mushy while mixing, you can directly spray oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket instead.
Place the plantains in the air fryer basket in a single layer and make sure they are not overcrowded and overlapping each other. Cook in batches if necessary. This makes sure that your plantains are cooked perfectly – crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Turn on the air fryer to 380 degrees F and cook the plantain for about 10 to 12 minutes while flipping over halfway through the cooking time.
Once they are golden and nice and crispy, transfer the fried sweet plantains to a serving plate and it is ready to be consumed.
Tips and notes to cook plantains in the air fryer
Plantains made in the air fryer are healthier and the procedure takes less than 15 minutes. The recipe I provided is pretty straightforward but I have here more tips for the best air fryer plantains results:
- It’s usually hard to find sweet ripe plantains at the grocery store. With this, you will most likely purchase an unripe plantain and let them ripen for a few days to a week. Make sure they are ripe and fully yellow plantains before air frying them so that the results will be naturally sweet plantains!
- Slice or cut the plantains in the same size and thickness so that they are cooked evenly at the same time.
- Yes, you can air fry frozen plantains and follow the same recipe procedure I gave.
- Plantains are best served hot so consume them immediately after taking them out of the air fryer.
- To make the plantains even sweeter, you can sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Just slice the yellow plantain into super thin slices to make plantain chips. You can also try this air fryer kale chips recipe and air fryer apple chips recipe too.
- Experiment with your favorite seasonings for more flavor. You can try garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and more.
What to serve your healthy air fryer plantains with
Air fryer plantains are a great healthy snack and can be eaten by themselves. However, they also make a great side dish and pairing with other foods and meals. Here are some ideas on how to serve your delicious plantains:
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
- Serve with rice and beans
- Serve alongside meat
- Serve as a breakfast food along with eggs, veggies, avocados, etc.
- Serve in a buddha bowl
- And more!
How to store air fryer sweet plantains
If you have leftover plantains, don’t worry because you can still store them and consume them later. Cool down your plantains first before placing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Your fried plantains should last for up to 4 days.
To reheat, just put the plantains back in the air fryer and cook for a minute at 380 degrees F.
Are air fry plantains healthy?
Plantains are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. However, they are considered a carb-rich food especially if you choose to cook them by deep frying them in oil.
By using the air fryer, you will only need to rely on the hot air circulating in the air fryer to cook your plantains. Yes, you only need a very little spray of cooking oil (or even none at all!). With this, the nutritional benefits of the plantains are retained and you won’t be adding any extra calories to it!
More air fryer recipes with fruits
Plantains are not the only fruits you can cook in an air fryer and transform into a delicious snack. Here are more air fryer recipes you can do with fruits:
- 2 Plantains medium, ripe
- 2 teaspoon of cooking oil
- Salt to taste (optional)
- First, you need to cut the edges and ends of the plantains using a sharp knife. You should look for plantains that are firm.
- Next, run the knife through the skin of the plantain lengthwise, while not fully cutting the flesh. Peel plantains skin.
- Then, slice the plantain into 1/2 inches thick pieces diagonally.
- Transfer your plantains into a bowl and mix with oil and salt.
- Place the plantains in a single layer in the air fryer basket and make sure they are not overcrowded and overlapping each other.
- Turn on the air fryer to 380 degrees F and cook plantain for about 10 to 12 minutes while flipping over halfway through the cooking time.
- Once they are golden and nice and crispy, transfer the fried sweet plantains to a serving plate and it is ready to be consumed.
I’m Anastasia and I’m a full-time blogger, online entrepreneur, and Pinterest marketing strategist. I help digital entrepreneurs and bloggers drive targeted traffic from Pinterest either through my online courses or through Pinterest consultancy.