If you are on a journey to healthy eating and healthy living, then I am sure that you know the importance of adding healthy greens to your daily diet. And one veggie that I would highly recommend you add to your meals is Brussels sprouts.
Brussels sprouts are a powerhouse of healthy nutrients including antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, and more. And the best thing about it? You can easily make and cook your brussels sprouts in an air fryer with very little cook time!
With that said, I have here an easy air fryer Brussels sprouts recipe you can do at home.
How to make crispy air fryer brussels sprouts recipe
I don’t know about you but I love my Brussels sprouts crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. However, when you want something to become crispy, you would need to fry it and soak it in a lot of oil, right? Well, I have a remedy for that – an air fryer!
When using air fryers (and yes, you can air fry vegetables too), you will just need a very little spray or dab of oil and your food will have that crispy result in a shorter amount of time than when you deep-fry or bake in the oven!
With that said, here is how you can achieve a crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts:
1 pound of brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper to taste
If you have a stalk of brussels sprouts, remove the sprouts from the stalk. Just push them downwards with your fingers. Otherwise, you can go for either fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts from the grocery store.
Rinse your brussels sprouts in water and pat dry.
Cut the bottom stem, and cut the brussels sprout in half.
Transfer to a medium bowl or large mixing bowl and toss the Brussels sprouts in with olive oil, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder. Add other seasonings you prefer.
Heat your air fryer to 360°F and toss your Brussels sprouts in the air fryer while shaking the basket halfway through. Make sure that you place the brussels sprouts in a single layer so that they cook evenly.
Air fry for about 10-12 minutes until brussels sprouts are slightly browned.
Once done, place brussels sprouts in a large bowl or plate. Serve immediately.
Ways to use Brussels Sprouts
While these Brussels sprouts are delicious by themselves and can be eaten on their own, you can still pair them with various healthy meals and side dishes for a filling meal during lunchtime or a weeknight. With that said, here are different ways on where you can use and pair your air fried Brussels sprouts:
- Air fryer brussels sprouts with bacon. You can easily air fry your bacon and crumble it or sprinkle on top of your brussels sprouts for that extra flavor and crunch!
- Mix into salads or Buddha bowl
- Mashed potatoes
- Chicken breasts
- and more!
How to store Brussels Sprouts
Should you have any extra Brussels Sprouts leftovers, you can easily store and reheat them anytime you want.
- To Store. Place extra Brussels Sprouts in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Just reheat the leftover brussels sprouts to the air fryer at 350 degrees F.
- To Freeze. You can freeze your leftover Brussels sprouts in an airtight freeze-safe store container for up to 3 months. However, your Brussels sprouts may get mushy after you thaw them so I don’t recommend freezing them. But if needed, I suggest thawing overnight and leaving in the refrigerator first before reheating.
How to air fry frozen brussels sprouts
I recommend you use fresh Brussels sprouts if you want to achieve perfectly crispy results but if you can only find and use frozen Brussels sprouts in your nearest supermarket, then do not worry.
To cook frozen brussels sprouts in the air-fryer, make sure you love plenty of space in between the sprouts in the air fryer basket so that they cook evenly. You may also want to add extra minutes to the cooking time and gradually check if the sprouts are brown and cooked.
More tips for the best crispy brussels sprouts in the air fryer
Brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish for almost any meal. Here are more tips on how you can make this recipe easier for yourself.
- If you want a sweeter result for your Brussels sprouts, you can drizzle 2 teaspoons of honey over the cooked sprouts. On the other hand, if you want a more spicy variation, feel free to sprinkle some red pepper flakes.
- Consistently check the air fryer basket and shake it several times throughout the cooking process to keep the air circulating. This will result to your Brussels sprouts to be evenly cooked and crispy.
- If you have more time on your hands, you can soak the Brussels sprouts in water for 10 minutes prior to air frying them. This will ensure that your Brussels sprouts will be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- If you want to add more flavor, you can add garlic parmesan
- Cut the sprouts into similar-sized pieces so that they can have a similar texture once cooked.
- Do not worry if your Brussels Sprouts turn brown. In fact, brown is the preferred result you want to see!
- Do not cut the smaller sprouts and leave them whole to avoid overcooking.
Why use an Air Fryer?
- I am obsessed with using my air fryer because I can cook and make almost every meal crispy and fried without soaking my ingredients in oil! For example is this air fryer french fries recipe. I only need a light spray or a small dab of oil and it is all ready to go.
- An air fryer cooks its food by circulating hot air inside which fries and cooks the food in a short amount of time as compared to deep frying and baking in an oven.
- You do not have to worry about extra calories when using an air fryer because of the lack of cooking oil needed!
- As opposed to an oven, an air fryer preheats very quickly which cuts down your needed cooking time.
- Preparation and cleaning time is shorter because you will only need to use a few kitchen tools.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for more ways on how to cook your food in the air fryer? I have here a collection of easy and quick air fryer recipes that will only take you a few minutes!
- Air Fryer Tofu
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Eggplant
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Apple Chips
- 1 pound of brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper to taste
- Rinse your brussels sprouts in water and pat dry.
- Cut the bottom stem, and cut the brussels sprout in half.
- Transfer to a medium bowl or large mixing bowl and toss the brussels sprouts in with olive oil, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder. Add other seasonings you prefer.
- Heat your air fryer to 360°F and toss your brussels sprouts in the air fryer while shaking the basket halfway through.
- Make sure that you place the brussels sprouts in a single layer so that they cook evenly.
- Air fry for about 10-12 minutes until brussels sprouts are slightly browned.
- Once done, place brussels sprouts in a large bowl or plate.
- Serve immediately.
I’m Anastasia and I’m a full-time blogger, online entrepreneur, and Pinterest marketing strategist. I help digital entrepreneurs and bloggers drive targeted traffic from Pinterest either through my online courses or through Pinterest consultancy.